Mikrotik RouterOS - PPTP VPN guide
REQUIREMENTS: It is expected, that you already have the iWatchTVAbroad account with active VPN service. Otherwise, please Sign Up first.
IMPORTANT: Don't setup your Mikrotik RouterOS remotely. You have to be connected via the LAN interface, otherwise you will cut the connection (access to the router) and you will not be able to access it remotely any more.
- Update Router OS on your Mikrotik router to latest version (at least version v5.8)
- Connect to your Mikrotik router via WinBox.
- Setup the DNS servers manually to Google DNS: IP -> DNS -> Settings -> Servers
- Write down the default gateway IP address of your Internet provider (ISP) and remove the default-route (Dst. Address = 0.0.0.0/0 routed via your ISP GW) from the routing table. If you don't use DHCP Client please follow the STEP 5.
- Go to IP -> DHCP Client and disable the "Add Default Route" option.
- Your routing table should not contain any default route now. See the screen bellow.
- Add new static route to your routing table. Dst. address is an IP address of the VPN server you want connect to. Gateway is the default gateway IP address of your Internet provider (ISP). You should have the IP written down since STEP 1.
- Set up the PPTP client according to the screens bellow. Status should appear as connected once you click Apply.
You can find the VPN username and password and VPN Server List in your Members Area. Please contact us if you don't know IP address of VPN server.
IMPORTANT: Please mind, that if you want to watch UK TV channels like BBC iPlayer, you need to be connected to some of our UK VPN servers. The same holds true for watching US channels like Netflix.
- Please check your interfaces and routing table again. The correct configuration should look similar to the screen bellow.
- Now you should be able to ping for example google.com. If all works well, then you can setup NAT masquerade of your LAN network so all devices behind the Mikrotik Router will use the VPN connection.
- Once you are successfully connected to the iWatchTVAbroad VPN, you should be able to access your favorite UK or US TV channel. You can find some of available TV channels on our Channels page.